God’s willing, very soon we will cross over into a new year. As much as New Year’s Day is just another day; it is also a monumental event. Each new year adds up to make centuries. A new year adds length to existence. It adds age to every human life. Some will cross over with new hope and great plans. Some will cross over with discouragement and dismay. We don’t know what will spring up on us in the next minute, just as much as we don’t know what the new year brings.
Whatever your thoughts are about this new year, whether you are ready for it or not, it will come. No matter if you are hopeful, anxious, scared, or excited for the new year, it comes with whatever it has in store for us. Here are some assurances and promises to help you get ready for 2017.
- Those that are for you, are MORE than those that are against you (2 Kings 6: 16). Always remember that God and His heavenly hosts are on your side. Difficult times are ahead of us, but heavenly agents are scurrying about the earth, to ensure that we are saved first and that we are safe. God promised that He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways (Psalm 91: 11). Elisha and his servant came upon the great Syrian army; his servant trembled in fear. Elisha prayed that God would open the servant’s eyes so that he could see the angelic army ready to fight the battle. Only if our eyes were opened, we would see that God has angels ready to deliver us from harm, ready to heal our hurt. Besides, Jesus promised that His spirit is readily available to bring comfort and hope to every receptive heart. All of heaven is working on your behalf. Surrender to their help and let them bring you safely through 2017 and into the kingdom of God.
- God is already in the future: “The Lord says to Israel, Long ago I predicted what would take place; then suddenly I made it happen…I predicted your future long ago, announcing events before they took place.” Whatever 2017 brings, the Lord already knows. He is aware of the challenges up ahead. Trust in Him, because He can and will make a way out for you. He already laid out the successes and victories for you, so begin to give Him the praises. Since God is Lord of everything; He is Lord of the past and Lord of the future. Allow Him to be Lord in your life. Place your life in His hands. Give Him full control and 2017 will be a rewarding year.
- Be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1: 9). As Moses’ successor, Joshua was about to take on a new challenge. He had a gigantic task ahead of him. God knew that the road ahead would be full of battles, doubts and challenges, so God gave Joshua an explicit and clear advice and command. The same encouragement is available to you for 2017. “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do. Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do” (Joshua 1: 9). That is a powerful promise for 2017. Play your part and witness the power of God in your life.
- Lift up your eyes on high and…Behold your God (Isaiah 40:9,26). The best way to begin the new year is to recognize that God is our creator and Lord. Most people will begin the new year by going to church. However, throughout 2017, live in constant awareness that we walk before a Holy God; Lord and Creator of the universe. He has full control of every aspect of our world. Let the words of Isaiah continually ring in your ears that the everlasting God the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not…he giveth power to the faint and to them that hath no might he increaseth strength (Isaiah 40: 28. 29). Keep your eyes on Him and He will sustain you in 2017.
- Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord (Psalm 27: 14). If you have been waiting on God to work in your life, keep waiting. This year may just be the year that God will grant your requests according to His good pleasure, as well as it may not be the year. Still, God encourages us to wait for Him to act, before we jump into action. You are not the only one waiting. You will not be the first and you will not be the last. The eyes of all wait upon [God]; and [He] givest them their meat in due season (Psalm 145: 15). Waiting is very difficult for humanity, but patience is a good fruit to cultivate. Besides, “The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him” (Lamentations 3: 25). Never forget that, “since the world began, no ear has heard and no eye has seen a God like [our God], who works for those who wait for him!” (Isaiah 64: 4).
- Love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might…(Deuteronomy 6: 5). From the beginning, this is all that God asked of us, to love Him. Moses pleaded with the people so many times to love God. The prophets pleaded and when Jesus was on earth, He pleaded with the people. Yet, loving God is so HARD for us, because we have to deny ourselves in order to love Him. We have to love others when we want to hate. We have to give when we prefer to keep. We have to be humble when we want to be prideful. But loving God is the only way to win in this world. It’s the only way to have real success in this life. It’s the only way to develop a life of passion, purpose and service to humanity. I hope that in 2017, your love for God will grow to great heights. Here is His promise to those who truly love Him, “Know therefore that the Lord thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations” (Deuteronomy 7: 13).
- Have Faith in God (Mark 11:22). This is a simple command Jesus gave His disciples. Peter couldn’t believe that the fig tree Jesus cursed had dried up. “Have faith in God” was the powerful answer Jesus gave to Peter. Then He went on to say in verse 24, “whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” Let faith carry you through 2017, because God will keep His promises. He won’t let you down and as hard as it is…in 2107 try your very best not to let Him down as much.
Psalm 118: 1, “O give thanks unto the Lord, for He is good, for His mercies endures forever.”